Century Island






Century Island Version 2.0

By Peter Crispin


Chapter 1

I was hit by a car last summer. I don’t remember it, but I hear it was very dramatic. I spent two months in a hospital, and two weeks in a coma. I used to love people. Watching their faces light up when I smiled brought me genuine pleasure- but I don’t see that world anymore. Since the first person looked from my eyes to the scar running the length of my face and I saw their gaze shift from pleasure to suspicion to disgust, I knew things weren’t going to be easy anymore.

I have a cat, her name is Pisces. When I hold Pisces, and she begins to purr, the vibrations that ripple through our shared being hold an bond no other souls possessed.

‘I love you… you care for me… I love you… you keep me safe…’, I could hear echoing through my mind when she spoke to me. Pisces sees the world as I present it for her, and how I wish it to be; A place where people are nice, and help each other to be happy.

My parents suggested not attending school that year- grade nine was a big one… but my doctor insisted.

‘His recovery is miraculous,’ the doctor had said. ‘He will be back to normal in no time.’

Normal? I thought, ‘ What did any of them know about normal?

Unfortunately, the doctor’s words weren’t much comfort when kids teased me and called me stupid.


#


‘To your seats children, if I could have your attention please!’ Mrs. Darling was a wonderful teacher, I felt like she had my back, even when she wasn’t around. She was in her late thirties, but seemed to hold a wisdom well beyond her years.

Something hit the back of my head. I heard laughter behind me, but I didn’t turn to look. Their pantomime had already played out dozens of times, I was used to it. If I looked on the floor I was sure to find a piece of paper that said RETARD or some other equally witty banter.

‘Don’t forget the field trip tomorrow,’ Mrs. Darling continued, ‘I trust you all have your permission slips  signed by your parents, or you won’t be joining us on Century Island- you can have fun working on your math homework with Ms. Hanrath.’

A general murmur of discontent rippled through the class. Ms. Hanrath had been a lovely and inspiring woman… forty or fifty years ago. Some people just don’t know when to quit. 

‘That will do it for today children, Century Island, tomorrow!’


#


‘Hey retard,’ I heard behind me. I slumped my shoulders. I had hoped for once I could walk home in peace. I turned to look- It was Davey Masterson and his cronies, Chris and Eric. They had it out for me since day one. ‘Why didn’t you read my note?’

‘I bet it was real clever, maybe you’re up to four letter words,’ .

Davey scowled and looked at Eric, who pushed me. This was new, they had never gotten physical before. ‘That’s not funny,’ Davey snarled, ‘what you think you’re so smart? I guess we’ll see you on Century Island.’  Minions in tow, Davey turned to leave with a snicker.

I sighed and shook my head. Some people…

I walked the rest of the way home in solitude. Century Island, also known as Monster Island, was shrouded in mystery. A whole class went camping there and was never heard from again .That was almost a hundred years ago. I wonder if the name had anything to do with that class?

It took me almost twenty minutes to get home. My parents had bought a really nice house in the new Shady Palms subdivisions. It let my dad be closer to the three movie theatres he was recently promoted to run.

When I turned on to our street, it was easy to pick our house out even from a distance. It was the only one not painted black or white or grey- My mom, the expert decorator, had chosen purple and orange. I guess it looked dramatic with all the sand. Did I mention we were literally the last house before a seemingly endless desert?


#


‘Mom, I’m home!

I heard a clatter from the kitchen, and a muffled curse, before my mom got to the hallway. Escaping tendrils of her long, curly brown hair were starting to litter her forehead. The look in her eyes suggested her brain was running faster than her body could go, as usual. She wiped some hair from her eyes. “Hello darling, how was your day?’

I sighed and kicked off my shoes. “It was ok. Davey and his goons were picking on me again.’

‘Oh dear…,’ She mumbled, ‘That’s not nice at all. Just don’t be the one who does something you regret- take the high road and maintain your integrity.’ She nodded seriously, fixing my gaze in hers. Her eyes were like a swirling grey ocean- I was fortunate to inherit that gift.

I slumped my shoulders and shrugged.  ‘I won’t. They’re taking us to Century Island tomorrow. Maybe that will be more interesting.’

My mom blinked in surprise. ‘Is that the island where…’

‘…All the students disappeared?’ My dad interjected, emerging from the bedroom upstairs, wearing his favourite cat-print pyjamas. 

I nodded. ‘That’s the one.’

He scratched his chin and shook his head. “I wonder what happened to those kids…’ He sighed . ‘Poor souls.’

‘Well,’ my mom interrupted cheerfully,’ I’m sure you kids will haver a wonderful time. Plus that teacher of yours, Mrs…’

‘Darling?’ I piped in.

‘Yes, Darling,’ my mom continued,’ she seems very good, I’m sure she’ll take good care of you.’

I shrugged. ‘If Davey doesn’t want it to be fun, it won’t be fun.’

My mom sighed and bowed her head. ‘I’m sorry honey, that sounds tough. If it’s any consolation, I”m sure at home he gets much worse than he gives .’

‘That poor boy,’ my father wailed.

‘No way’ I replied angrily. ‘I’ll never feel sorry for that jerk.’

My dad shook his finger. ‘Not everyone has the same advantages you did growing up. What would you be like now if I had been an alcoholic like my father, or if your mom had been abusive?’

I shrugged, my limited memory of my life experience not ready for the reality of their words.

‘You’re a great kid, Pedro,’ my dad continued,  ‘but sometimes you need to take a second to put yourself in their shoes- maybe you can find a way to help Davey, you might even end up being friends!’

I nodded. “Maybe…’

My dad waggled his finger. ‘Just try being nice to him,’ He said. ‘You’ll be surprised the first time niceness pays off, but you won’t stay surprised for long!

My mom giggled to herself as she met him at the bottom of the stairs. ‘Oh Harold, you’re such a goof!’ She kissed him on the cheek.

Harold wagged his finger. ‘Hold on Liv, someone as to… I’ve got to make up for both of us!’ Harold wrapped his wife in his arms and kissed her on the lips. ‘I love you,’ he mumbled, his face squished against hers.

‘I love you Harold,’ she whispered in reply.


#


The next class was buzzing with excitement. Chris and Eric hadn’t brought their permission forms, and would not be joining us- For once Davey was on his own. He looked nervous, maybe even a little frightened.

Mrs. Darling clapped her hands to silence the class. “I hope you’re all excited for your trip! Your assignment for today is to find something on the island to write about- it could be the sky, the trees, or something that you find. Whatever you fancy, please write about it and hand it in next week. Two pages minimum!’

The class murmured quietly. You could tell they were anxious for the journey to begin. 

‘Silence please children,’ Mrs Darling continued, ‘Please  partner up- we will be leaving shortly.’

I looked around- everyone had partners except Davey. Just my luck. He looked at me- he was obviously thinking the same thing. 

I put my hands in my pockets and shuffled over. ‘Hey,’ I mumbled.

Davey just scowled.

‘Ok kids, we’ll be leaving in ten minutes, please make your way out to the bus!’


#


I can still remember the first time I lay eyes on Century Island. Unspoiled forest, no signs of human occupation. No roads or power lines, no houses or people. A beautiful, unexplored wilderness.

‘I heard the last kids here were kidnapped by cannibals,’ someone whispered behind me.

‘I heard they were eaten by bears!’

‘Settle down back there kids!’ Mrs Darling called from the front of the bus. ‘It’s true they never found the last group, for all we know they may still live there!’ She chuckled. ‘We will be disembarking shortly. Please don’t lose your seat buddy.’

I looked at Davey, who had been scowling in silence the whole trip. It was strange- when I looked back at the island I almost felt like I could hear voices in my head.


‘This is Century Beach,’ Mrs Darling swept her arms behind her dramatically. ‘This is going to be home base for…’

Mrs Darling’s voiced trailed off as my attention shifted to my surroundings, rather than the people in it. I dense cedar forest loomed above the narrow beach of yellow sand where we stood. When I focused my attention on the forest I could swear the voices in my head grew louder.

Strangers…

Hunger…

I shook my head, trying to ignore the voices. I focused my attention on Mrs Darling.

‘Twenty minutes children! Meet back here with your seat buddy!’

With a brief glance at Davey, hands in his pockets, I made my way towards the great cedars. 

Strangers…

Beware…

As I reached the edge of the forest, the voices grew to an almost fevered pitch. I heard Danny shuffle up behind me. I glanced back at him, then back the way we had come. Other than the school bus, shining in the sun like a beacon, we were alone.

I closed my eyes. Feed, I thought, casting forth my awareness.

The air filled with howls and shrieks, as a humanoid figure lopped silently from beneath the darkened canopy, grabbing Danny’s arm and dragging him from his feet.

Danny squirmed against his well-muscled, fur-covered kidnapper .“Help!’ he screamed as he was dragged towards the treelike.

I could see Mrs. Darling running towards us. Even a hundred meters down the beach, I could make out the look of panic on her face, the pain of informing a parent of their lost child,  .

I blinked and looked towards Danny’s pained face. His every feature was wrinkled with terror. The voices in my head were louder than ever.

Danger!

Outsiders…

I fixed Danny in my gaze, I would always remember the look on his face at that moment, better than any time he had ever hurt me. 

FEED, I thought silently.

The dark figure holding Danny shrieked even louder than his captive, and was answered by frantic activity from the forest.  Mrs. Darling shouted, she was still about ten meters away, and weeping openly at the display before her.  Several more figures emerged from the forest, grabbing each of Danny’s limbs in both hands. 

I blinked calmly as the nightmare before me unfolded, as if in slow motion. Each of the figures shrieked seemingly as one, and there was a sickening snap as each of his limbs was rent from his body. The explosion of blood spattered my arms and face as I stood before the carnage. 

Mrs Darling stumbled to a halt behind me. ‘No!’ Wrapping her arms around me protectively, she wept, unconscious of the fresh blood now staining her once lovely rose print dress and lightly freckled, pale skin. ‘Davey!’

With a final shriek, the dark figures carried the rent remains of their pray back in to the forest. Within moments, there was nothing but an empty beach, grisly remains, and the near- hyperventilation of the weeping woman holding me in her arms.

Fresh meat… Freedom…’

I blinked, more conscious of the voices in my head. A sacrifice, I thought fiercely. Friends…

Mrs Darling collapsed to the beach, unable to process the scene before her. I could hear the bus driver running over, and see a few curious kids returning from their forays on to the island. I wrapped my arms around Mrs. Darling, stroking her hair calmly. I didn’t say a thing, I thought I had already said enough for one day.

‘Sweet Jesus…,’ I heard behind me- the bus driver had reached us. His bearded face was split with concern. ’What happened here?’

Mrs Darling was still a weeping mess. She could barely breathe, let alone speak. 

‘There were some animals in the forest,’ I said  quietly. ‘They grabbed Davey…’

‘Goddamn,’ the driver mumbled, scratching his dark hair. ‘Where is he now?’

I gestured at the blood pool before us.

‘Shit! Back to the fucking bus!’

Despite the strangeness of  the situation, I wondered how such a vulgar individual had ended up driving a school bus.

I gently coached Mrs. Darling back the way we had come, towards the relative safety of the school bus.

‘I’ll call the police,’ the driver mumbled, running back to the bus. 

I glanced back towards the forest, and the bloody mess that remained. I felt like I could see eyes watching me. I felt so at home, I never could have explained how comfortable that surreal environment made me feel. I knew I must return…


#


That was the last time I ever saw Mrs. Darling. I don’t know what happened to her after that point, but the only thing I regret is the pain I caused such a truly wonderful being on that day, the day I found my  people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Consortium

The Disappearing Turtle

Lapsang Souchong