The Mormons

The Mormons


After I decided to move to Whitehorse, I moved in with my first landlord, Io. It was September 2010, my first winter in the Yukon after two very fun summers with a pretty drunken haze. I was paying $600 for the vacant room. As I was unpacking my book collection, Io happened to be walking by. ‘You certainly have some weird books,’ she said. ‘You should meet this James guy, he likes weird books too. 

‘Cool,’ I muttered, and didn’t really give it another thought. 


Io bought a house but didn’t hire movers, she said we could move everything ourselves, including the washer and dryer in the basement. She told me we would meet at the old place at ten. When ten rolled around I had no companion but an imaginary tumbleweed dancing in the wind. 


Then two tall young guys in suits walked up. ‘Hi,’ the taller one said, ‘we’re looking for Io.’

I shrugged. ‘I am too, we’re supposed to be moving today.’

‘We’re from the Mormon Help Line. Io’s friend is a mormon, she asked if we could help her move today!’

It’s 10:15. Still no Io in sight.

‘Wha… do you guys wanna help me bring this washer and dryer up from the basement? Hopefully Io will be here with the moving truck by then.’

‘Sure,’ he said with a smile,’ no problem.

With relatively little trouble, Matthew, Brandon and I managed to get the washer and dryer outside. 10:30 rolls around, and still no Io.’

‘If you want,’ Brandon said, ‘we can use my Uncle’s truck. It’s a long box, and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.’

My eyes lit up. ‘Wow, you guys are lifesavers!’

I wish this part of the journey had gone as smoothly, but we managed to put a big scrape in the paint on the truck. ‘I am SO sorry!’ I wept. ‘Maybe I can pay for that?’

Brandon shrugged and smiled. “I’m sure he won’t mind, don’t even worry, ok?


We get to the new house, just around the corner. 10:40, still no Io. There are three exterior keys with two different locks, and neither of my new keys worked in any of them.


‘I uh… might be able to help,’ Brandon said quietly, ‘but you have to trust me, OK?’

I shrugged. ‘No problem, I absolutely trust you.’

‘Gosh, would you look at those mountains,’ Matthew said as Brandon casually disappeared around the side of the house.

‘Yep, they’re pretty amazing. Once you’ve lived in a place with mountains, it’s hard to live without them.’

Click. Brandon opens the door, from the inside.

My eyes went as wide as saucers. ‘How did…’

‘Ah, he said, wagging his finger, ‘you said you’re trust me, remember?

I chuckled. ‘That I did, that I did. 

11:00. Still no Io, but the washer and dryer are not only in place, but connected and working, because Matthew’s good with that kind of stuff.

I think at this point, I actually wept. ‘Seriously, you guys have no idea how much it means to me that you came when you did. Otherwise I’d still be sitting there wondering what the hell… heck… was going on!’

Brandon’s smiled widened. ‘Hey, that’s what we’re here for, we’re glad we could help!’

‘Can I… make you guys some tea or something? Do you want to sit down? You must be hot in those suits.’

‘That’s very kind of you to offer, but we’ve got to go, lots of helping to do!’ Brandon said, retrieving a business card from his pocket. ‘If you ever need any help, you just give this number a call. It may not be us, but there will always be someone who can help you, ok?’

I wish I still had that card.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Consortium

The Disappearing Turtle

Lapsang Souchong