Lisa

Lisa


Lisa invited me to see Tangled, in the movie theatre that was shortly shut down by the fire department for code violations. When we met up, she looked lovely- about 5’3”, wearing a green paisley dress showing an impressive amount of cleavage. We got our popcorn and disgustingly sugary sodas, and took our seats, along with eight other people, in a theatre extra-dimly lit because many of the bulbs were burn out.


The trailers began, probably for other Disney movies. I took a bite of stale popcorn. Yuck. I took a sip of coke and it was totally flat. Yuck. I ask Lisa to taste her diet soda and it’s… awful. She shrugged. “I just want to enjoy my snacks and the movie.’

I smile. At least I’m with a pretty girl. 

‘Oh my god…’ we hear from the projection booth. ‘Holy shit… WHAT THE FUCK!’ Click. Movie shuts off, leaving all ten of us in awkward silence. 

A few minutes later the few remaining lights come on and a pimples-faced usher entered, informing us there would be a slight 5-10 minute delay. I turn to Lisa. “What you wanna bet they won’t have things up and running in 5-10 minutes?’

She arched an eyebrow. “Why do you say that?”

‘Well, I worked in a movie theatre, and I can tell you anything that elicits the reaction ‘oh my god, holy shit, what the fuck,’ is outside their pay grade. She shrugs, taking a sip of her flat soda, and a bite of stale popcorn. ‘I’ll be right back,’ I whisper in the silence, taking both drinks back to the concession stand. ‘I think you’re out of CO2’, I say.

The kid shrugs. ‘Yeah sorry, it ran out.’

…Can you replace it?’ 

‘We uh… don’t know how.’

“Want me to do it? I used to work in a theatre, I could do it in my sleep.”

“Sorry sir, that’s against policy, but here’s a $25 voucher for each combo.’

I head to the ushers, huddled in a dark corner. ‘So… what’s going on?’

The pimple-faced kid frowned. ‘Well, sir…’

‘Let me guess, not going to be up and running in five to ten minutes?’

‘Well, no…’

‘What happened?’

‘Well, I don’t know if I should tell you this but… the projectionist was changing the reels and his hand got caught in the projector.’

My eyes widen, thinking of the massive teeth of the film projectors. ‘Wow,’ I whisper.

‘We had to call an ambulance,’ he says.

‘…ambulance?’

‘There was blood everywhere.’

‘… everywhere?’

I return to my seat. Lisa looks at me patiently.

‘Do you want the good news first,’ I say,’ the bad news, or the really bad news?’

Her eyes widen. ‘Good?’

I flash the $25 vouchers and give her one. ‘Cool!’ She says, as I look at her expectantly.’ Bad?’

‘They ran out of CO2 and they have more, but they don’t know how to change it and they won’t let me do it even thought I know how.’

‘Oh…’ she mumbled. ‘Um… very bad?’

‘The projectionist got their hand caught in the projector.’

‘Holy shit.’

‘They had to go to the hospital.’ 

‘…hospital?’

‘There was blood everywhere.’

‘…everywhere?’

The pimple-faced kid entered the theatre. ‘Excuse me ladies and gentleman, I regret to inform you…'


The end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Consortium

The Disappearing Turtle

Secrets