The Dishwasher

 The Dishwasher


Most of my working life in Ontario was spent in commercial kitchens, and in most of those kitchens, I was washing dishes. More than any other job I ever worked for somebody else, I was the best. I loved washing dishes, particularly the parts involving free food, and being surrounded by extroverts, who wouldn’t have jobs if they weren’t hard workers.

I would have a hard time choosing my favorite dishwashing job, because I had so much fun and was challenged in different ways by several. My two favorites however, were definitely East Side, Mario‘s in Waterloo, and milestones in London, Ontario.

Everyone at East side Mario‘s was really freaking nice. Many people were attending university since it’s right next to the University of Waterloo. Lots of people in the kitchen had great taste in music, and it seemed to me like all I had to do, was take the dishes that were dirty, spray them with the thingy, and put them in the machine. Seems simple, right? Apparently not, because when they “promoted me” to prep cook (and later line cook), I was dismayed, because I really enjoyed the fact that, even during a rush, and working by myself, I could take every smoke break. Everyone took and barely break, a sweat… And all without smoking (other than second hand). In retrospect, I can see why they promoted me.

Unfortunately, the guy they hired to replace me was fucking terrible. I would show him my tricks, the most essential of which was that from the window between the dish pit, and the kitchen you could literally see all the dishes, lol all you had to do is look at what was low and wash the thing. Simple, right? Not simple enough for that guy.

I couldn’t count the number of times I would be picking a chicken or cutting lettuce and they would be screaming at him to wash some goddamn pasta bowls, while he was flirting with the servers or taking a smoke break. So I would wash the dishes, and then pick the chickens, and cut the lettuce. 
This trend continued with the guy following that one, but he wasn’t nearly as memorable, he was just a terrible worker, as many dishwashers seem to be for some reason. It was really weird to see people struggle so much with some thing that seems so straightforward, but there you have it. If I worked with you at Eastside, Merrio’s, thank you for being awesome and I am grateful for you… And the breadsticks… And the caramel (ahemkristin).
When I went to school in London, it made working in Waterloo difficult, and near the end of my college career came my master class : Milestones. 
I have some idea what it must feel like when you go from being the best in the minor leagues, to being one of the many ‘ best in the minor leagues’ in the major league. They are dedicated training team spent about three months , preparing us, but from the first trial run when we cooked for the training team to the last time I walked out those doors before I moved back to Waterloo, it was nonstop insanity.

Our training started with seven prospective ‘ Hobart technicians’ (dishwashers) and by the time the training was done, there were… Two. On opening night, we were full from the moment the doors opened, past when the executive chef actually started crying and begged them to stop letting people in, until we 86’ed on literally everything. I hear he ended up getting fired for wearing jeans to work, but that was after my stint.
I worked a lot of overtime, being one of two Hobart technicians, and here was the deal with overtime Dash double pay, and anything you want on the menu as your staff meal. 
One of the most memorable moments of my working life was the first time the trainer told me this. My eyes lit up. ‘ so… That would include the chefs cut, rotisserie prime rib dinner with garlic, mashed potatoes (which I made) and roasted asparagus?’
And he responded with five of the greatest words in the English language: ‘whatever you want, my friend.’ 
A lot of prime ribs, we’re eating that year, and every moment was precious because it was the only time you weren’t making potatoes, washing dishes, or taking the garbage all the way around Masonville mall to be distant trash bins. 

Milestones, thank you for showing me what the big league is like, and a big yo that to all that I learned there.

The next big milestone in my dishwashing saga was in 2020, when I finally bought a place with a dishwasher. My wife loves to cook, and hates washing dishes. I love to cook, and also love washing dishes. I once again find myself washing all the dishes, and while I don’t eat chef cut, rotisserie prime rib with garlic, mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus every day, the menu changes regularly, the food is always fantastic, and I also my own dishes instead of someone paying me to wash theirs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Consortium

The Disappearing Turtle

Skagway, Alaska